Information for Schools as Commissioners: Benefits for Schools
Once a member of staff in a school has been trained using an Elklan course they are of huge benefit because they:
- Can work more effectively with pupils with speech, language and communication difficulties.
- Be a specialist resource to the other members of staff in the school.
- Support the communication development of all pupils in the school environment across the curriculum and in the playground too!
- Know how to interpret SaLT reports and programmes which means they can be implemented more easily and effectively.
- Know how to modify their interactions which is of benefit to ALL pupils.
- Can change the way they speak to pupils so they understand more of what is said.
- Can encourage talking by using specific strategies such as modelling language which can be used anytime, anywhere!
- Know how to support a child with interaction difficulties
- Can support a child with speech difficulties who has a speech therapy programme to follow.
- Are more confident in dealing with pupils with mild speaking and listening difficulties and know which need to be seen by the speech and language therapist.
- Are more confident in talking to parents about the child's speaking and listening skills.
- Share a common language with the SaLT service so reducing time needed to understand what is being asked of them and thus improving efficiency.
Some comments from staff:
Want to find out more?
Contact us by phone or online