Communication Support for Verbal Pupils with ASD course outline
Session 1: What is communication and where does ASD fit?
- Identify the processes involved in communication
- Understand the nature of ASD and the impact it has on communication, learning and social development
Session 2: Sensory Integration and ASD
- Understand sensory difficulties individuals with ASD experience.
- Learn how to identify different sensory patterns and strategies to manage individuals who present in these different ways.
Session 3: Understanding the role of NVC and the importance of structure
- Identify nonverbal communication behaviours.
- Understand what is meant by visual and physical structure and why it is important.
- Learn about the development of attention.
- Explore ways of adding physical structure and schedules to the environment.
Session 4: Using visual helpers and developing memory
- Use a wide range of visual supports in the learning setting.
- Understand how memory develops and learn how to use mind maps.
Session 5: Developing vocabulary, sequencing and narrative skills
- Develop activities to facilitate the learning of descriptive vocabulary with an emphasis on emotional vocabulary.
- Learn strategies to support development of storytelling and writing
Session 6: Understanding beyond simple sentences
- Present a language scheme model which supports verbal reasoning skills, including why and how questions, inferences, sequencing, predicting.
- Understand the relevance of this model to the pupil with ASD.
Session 7: Developing interaction
- Learn how to use evidence based interaction strategies and how to modify them for the individual with ASD.
- Understand how a lack of theory of mind affects an individual with an ASD.
- Know how to use chat cartoons to promote social interaction.
Session 8: Developing pragmatic skills
- Develop an understanding of pragmatic language skills.
- Learn how to observe pupils with these difficulties.
- Explore strategies to support pupils with pragmatic language difficulties
Session 9: Behaviour is Communication
- Understand that individuals communicate through their behaviour.
- Understand why communication difficulties might lead to challenging behaviour.
Session 10: Making sense of it all
- Present evidence of applying knowledge within the school environment.
.Find courses running in your area >>