Speech and Language Support for 5-11s course outline
Session 1: What is communication?
- Identify the processes involved in communication.
- Demonstrate the wide range of communication difficulties and the impact this has for the child.
Session 2: Understanding non-verbal communication, developing listening and attention skills
- Understand the power of non-verbal communication (NVC).
- Explore strategies to support children with poor listening and attention.
Session 3: Developing memory and independent learning
- Learn about making Mind Maps™ accessible to all.
- Learn new visual strategies to help pupils work independently in the classroom.
Session 4: Modifying adults’ speech to help a child understand language
- Practise modifying the adult’s language through an understanding of information carrying words.
- Consider issues pertinent to students learning an additional language.
Session 5: Understanding beyond simple sentences
- Discuss supporting verbal reasoning skills, including why & how questions, inferences, sequencing, predicting.
- Practise modifying the adult’s language accordingly.
Session 6: Promoting vocabulary development
- Understand how children learn new words.
- Develop a range of strategies to support the learning and retention of new words.
Session 7: Encouraging expressive language development and storytelling skills
- Discuss techniques to develop syntax (grammar) and narrative skills.
- Learn new ideas to support narrative development.
Session 8: Promoting effective communication and social skills
- Reflect on the effects that interaction patterns between adults and children have on communication.
- Develop active listening and support for children to speak out.
- Identify skills required for successful social skills and share ideas as to how to promote these.
Session 9: Supporting children with unclear speech and exploring the link between speech, reading and writing
- Identify the development of speech sounds.
- Discuss strategies to support children with unclear speech.
- Consider the link between speech, reading and writing.
- Review phonological awareness and the four main components.
Session 10: Management of stammering and other issues raised during the course
- Share ideas to support children who stammer.
- Present evidence of applying knowledge gained across the course during everyday classroom activities.
.Find this course near you >>