Speech and Language Support for Post 16s course outline
The course runs for eight sessions, each with targets you will be able to achieve by the end of the course:
Session 1: What is communication?
- Identify the processes involved in communication.
- Demonstrate the wide range of communication problems young adults can exhibit.
Session 2: Understand the message
- Explore non-verbal communication.
- Improve listening skills.
- Use visual schedules and practice schedules.
Session 3: Understand the words
- Identify words that the young adult has difficulty learning.
- Develop strategies to promote the understanding of vocabulary.
Session 4: Understand the language
- Consider why understanding spoken language might be difficult.
- Learn how to modify the language to help the listener.
- Consider other issues such as non-literal language and bilingualism.
Session 5: Understand the question
- A structure to explore the types of questions and language demands placed on a young adult.
Session 6: Understand the situation
- What skills are needed to be 'streetwise'?
- What strategies can be used to develop this? (emotional literacy, comic strips, adapting to change).
Session 7: The task of talking
- What are the barriers to talking?
- Consider the interaction.
- Reflect on opportunities provided to talk.
- Explore social skills.
Session 8: Developing a communication plan
- Explore different everyday situations.
- What are the communication challenges?
- What changes can be implemented to support the young adult?
.Apply for this course today! >>