Speech and Language Support for Pupils with SLD course outline
Session 1: What is Communication?
- Identify the processes involved in communication.
- Demonstrate the wide range of communication difficulties and the impact this has for the child.
Session 2: Adult-Pupil Interaction and Non Verbal Communication
- Examine the effect of adult-child interaction on the development of communication skills.
- Explore the importance of nonverbal communication behaviours.
Session 3: Attention, Listening and Play and Exploratory Learning
- Develop strategies to promote listening and attention.
- Explore the link between play/exploratory learning and language development.
Session 4: Understanding of Language
- Explore strategies to support and develop a pupil's understanding of language.
- Understand the importance of visual cues.
- Develop an understanding of information carrying words.
Session 5: The Blank Language Scheme or the Language of Learning Model
- Learn how to assess and support pupils’ verbal reasoning skills.
- Know how to modify questions to meet the needs of individual pupils.
Session 6: Promoting the Development of Vocabulary
- Identify types of vocabulary.
- Explore general strategies and techniques to develop vocabulary knowledge and use.
Session 7: Developing Expressive Communication
- Explore general strategies to support expressive communication.
- Learn about specific techniques that can be used to teach sentences and story telling.
Session 8: Supporting pupils with unclear speech and using Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)
- Explore strategies to support unclear speech and the development of phonological awareness.
- Consider Total Communication and AAC systems to support pupils with expressive language difficulties.
Session 9: The Development of Social Skills
- Identify the social skills a pupil needs.
- Explore strategies to support social skill development.
Session 10: Communication Plans and Course Summary
- Explore how to assess and monitor a pupil’s progress with their communication.
- Discuss issues raised in the course.