NELI: Training for TAs
What does training for TAs involve?
TAs receive 2 ½ days of training and support:
- Days 1 and 2:
- Introduction to NELI and general strategies to support oral language development.
- The reception teacher attends this session on the morning of Day 1.
- How to implement Part 1 (first 10 weeks) of the NELI programme: an introduction and then practical ‘walk through’ of several group and individual sessions to enable the TA to deliver the initial group and individual sessions with confidence.
- ½ Day:
- The half-day workshop is delivered at the end of Part 1 (so the end of the first term of delivery).
- The aim is for TAs to share experiences of delivering Part 1 of the intervention and then explore how to implement Part 2 with the additional phonological awareness component.
Where are courses running?
What do participants receive?
Post course support:
- TAs are able to access support from via a ‘contact us’ form. TAs can submit one ‘contact us’ form a week for a year post training. Additional support can be purchased.
Resources provided by OUP:
- Elklan Training Ltd will share your school’s contact details and the name of the TA attending the training with Oxford University Press (OUP)
- OUP will arrange an invoice and will send a NELI Resource Pack
- The NELI Resource Pack contains:
- NELI Teaching Handout book Part 1 – detailed information and plans for implementing NELI’
- NELI Teaching Handout book Part 2’
- A box full of colourful, pictures and resources to use with the children’
- One pack can be shared between two TAs. If a school trains more than two TAs, additional NELI packs need to be purchased.
Resources provided by Elklan:
- Participant booklet per TA. This will be given on the first day of the course
- Poster summarising the NELI programme schedule
- Poster giving a visual timetable for the group sessions to be used with the children
- Access to a TA NELI page with
- resources to support the implementation of NELI
- plans for individual sessions
- copies of the assessment forms to print off on demand
- TAs will have access to an important NELI monitoring tool to enable them to record progress in the children’s narrative development. The results can be emailed to senior school staff.
- Access to a closed Facebook page to share ideas, queries and to ask the Elklan NELI team question.
NELI may only be implemented by trained Teaching Assistants under licence. Click here to view the Licence Agreement (PDF)
Can't find a course near you?
Please complete the expression of interest form and we will try to arrange a course that is nearer to you.
Who can train the TAs?
- National NELI tutors can come to your area and teach a group of TAs. The involvement of a minimum of six schools is required.
- National NELI tutors were either involved in training TAs for the EEF trial and/or are Elklan trained Speech and Language Therapists or highly experienced teachers specialising in supporting oral language development. To access this training compete the expression of interest form and a member of the NELI team from OUP will contact you to discuss your requirements.
- Train your own experienced teachers to become NELI tutors. Your local NELI tutor can deliver the course and support TAs working in local schools. Find out more here.